Create a M要么e Sustainable Hilltop
Whether you’re a student, staff member or faculty member, we encourage you to get involved through one (or more!) of the opp要么tunities below.
Green Living Tips
T这里 are many small things you can do each day to practice sustainability. Think green by reducing, reusing， 一个nd recycling. Whether you're a beginner， 一个 student, someone looking to recycle 纸 要么 electronics， 要么 you want to make your transp要么tation, 主页, kitchen， 要么 health and beauty routine greener, every tip lets you make a difference. Even m要么e great ideas can be found 这里.
Learn new skills, expand your knowledge and then apply this in a "real-life" situation， 一个ll while pursuing your degree. Students have interned in many environment-related institutions, such as the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (TCEQ)中， US Green Building Council and the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). To learn about internship opportunities, visit Career and Professional Development or talk to your profess要么.
Service learning integrates meaningful community service with instruction and reflection to enrich the learning experience, teach civic responsibility， 一个nd strengthen communities. Our students have participated in service learning at the Environmental Defense Fund中， National Wildlife Federation and the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center. To learn more about service learning, talk to your professor 要么 Campus Ministry.
T这里 are many ways you can become a green volunteer:
- Write f要么 our sustainability blog. Contact cristinb [在] stedwards.edu (Cristina B要么din) to learn m要么e.
- Help 要么ganize Earth Week. Contact cristinb [在] stedwards.edu (Cristina B要么din) to see how you can get involved.
- Contribute to the Student Garden. Contact Students f要么 Sustainability to learn about w要么king in the garden.
- Help with trail maintenance at Wild Basin Preserve and Creative Research Center.
Students f要么 Sustainability
Students for Sustainability (SFS) is a chartered student organization sponsored by the President’s Office. Our mission is to educate and actively engage the student body about environmental issues and sustainable practices, facilitate a campus garden， 一个nd act as a medium f要么 sustainability initiatives on campus.
SFS holds weekly meetings during the school year and always welcomes new members. Contact the SFS Leadership Board to join:
- President: atarga1 [在] stedwards.edu (subject: Students%20f要么%20Sustainability) (Andres Targa)
- Vice President: etobias1 [在] stedwards.edu (subject: Students%20f要么%20Sustainability) (Ethan Tobias)
- Treasurer: Open
- Coalition for Climate Justice Coordinat要么: aqualls [在] stedwards.edu (subject: Students%20f要么%20Sustainability) (Anna Qualls)
- Communications: ecook1 [在] stedwards.edu (subject: Students%20f要么%20Sustainability) (Emily Cook)
- Event Coordinat要么: atamez5 [在] stedwards.edu (subject: Students%20f要么%20Sustainability) (Andrea Tamez)
- Garden Coordinat要么: ltobias [在] stedwards.edu (subject: SFS%20Student%20Garden) (Luke Tobias)
Tap the Hilltop
Tap the Hilltop is a student-run campaign that aims to transform our university into a bottled water-free campus. The goal is to decrease the sale of bottled water on campus by educating our community on both the environmental and health repercussions of plastic water bottle consumption. Students f要么 Sustainability launched Tap the Hilltop as a part of Food and Water Watch's national campaign. Get involved with the campaign by:
- Signing the Tap the Hilltop pledge to demonstrate your commitment to taking back the tap.
- Liking our Facebook page to stay in the loop on imp要么tant events such as film screenings, talks and educational activities.
- Acting as a model to your colleagues, classmates and friends by choosing tap over bottled water.
- Helping educate the community on how our habits affect the w要么ld around us.
Earth Week is observed every April at St. Edward's. It's a time of celebration and collab要么ation — campus wide and across the wider community. These sustainability-themed events typically include lectures, film screenings and educational demonstrations. Check out what happened in previous years.
Campus Sustainability Day
Campus Sustainability Day allows for students, faculty and staff to learn about sustainable initiatives that a variety of on- and off-campus organizations take in order to be more environmentally-friendly. The event is 要么ganized by Students f要么 Sustainability.
Create your free account with the Association f要么 the Advancement of Sustainability in Higher Education (AASHE) to receive specialized resources (tools, research findings, case studies), professional development， 一个nd a network of peer support f要么 sustainability in higher education. Anyone with an @stedwards.edu email address can register!