Help people take control of their health as a doctor, dentist, physician assistant or physical therapist. Provide compassionate care to animals as a veterinarian.
Educate the next generation as a science teacher. Conduct valuable research that advances our understanding of the natural environment and the development of lifesaving drugs.
As a 生物学 major, you’ll learn the fundamental principles of biology at work in genes, cells, organ systems and even ecosystems. Then direct your studies toward a career in the health professions, research, industry, public health or teaching. Choose from courses in molecular biology, cellular biology, developmental biology, microbiology, neurobiology, zoology, botany, ecology or other fields.
Conduct research using state-of-the-art equipment and light-filled labs in the John Brooks Williams 自然科学 Center — or the Ashe juniper-covered hills of Wild Basin Creative 研究 Center in West Austin, a nature preserve managed by St. Edward’s. And present your discoveries at academic conferences, where you’ll network with other scientists and connect with even more opportunities.
生物学 majors go on to a variety of careers and graduate schools from St. Edward’s. Here’s a sample.
- Scientist at AstraZeneca, after earning a PhD from the University of Illinois at Chicago
- Data scientist at St. David’s HealthCare, after earning a Master of Public Health from Yale University
- Senior digital strategy consultant for Health, Life Science and Fitness at Ernst & Young
- Director of the Americas at the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services’ Office of Global Affairs
- Consulting analyst at the global consulting firm Accenture
- Regulatory affairs specialist at Becton, Dickinson and Co.
- 毕业 students at the University of Notre Dame, The University of Texas at Austin, Texas A&M University, Saint Louis University, DePaul University, Wake Forest University and the University of California Davis
Professors and research made the difference for 生物学 major 莱昂。贝内加斯'10。读他怎么 took what he learned at St. Edward’s to become a scientist at AstraZeneca in Washington, D.C.
Whether you plan to enter a career in research, medicine, health education, clinical laboratory science or science journalism, you’ll find opportunities outside the classroom to learn, give back, and prepare for your future with your fellow 生物学 majors.
In Entomology, which focuses on studying the evolutionary adaptations and incredible biodiversity found among insect groups, you’ll learn how to collect, preserve, and identify insects in the field.
Students in the Introductory 生物学 labs have collected samples from Bee Creek, at Wild Basin creative 研究 Center, to analyze levels of nutrients like nitrates and phosphorus.
In Cell 生物学, you’ll work in groups on a semester-long project to collect and analyze your own data to address a complex research question. You’ll have the advantage of using the Fluoview FV3000 laser scanning confocal microscope, a state-of-the-art $200,000 piece of equipment the university recently purchased with a National Science Foundation Major 研究 Instrumentation Grant. The final project is a scientific seminar in which you’ll present the results of your work to an audience of faculty from the department.
If you are planning to enter a health profession, you’ll take the First-Year Seminar in Pre-Health Professions your freshman year. This course gives you insight into what life is really like as a doctor, physician’s assistant, or other healthcare practitioner. Local professionals visit the class to share their day-to-day responsibilities, how they handled the college years, and work-life balance. You’ll conduct an informational interview with someone in your field and possibly job-shadow that person.
If you’re on the health professions track, as a junior or senior you’ll take Navigating the Health 申请流程. In this class, you’ll choose the schools where you want to apply, put your application together and write your personal statement.
Associate Professor of Biology Lisa Goering talks about her Fall 2020 General 生物学 I course.
You can apply to join the 自然科学 Living Learning Community your freshman year. Members of the LLC live together in the same residence hall and take a fall-semester science course together. They also arrive on campus before school begins to learn research tools and methodologies so they can join research projects early in their college career. LLC members participate in regular community dinners and recreational activities to relax and have fun together.
The St. Edward’s chapter of the Texas Academy of Science supports student research, including presentation and publication opportunities. Members also tutor in the sciences and complete other service projects.
Students with strong academic achievement in the sciences are eligible to join the St. Edward’s chapter of Beta Beta Beta, the National Biological Honor Society.
Students for 可持续性 educates the St. Edward’s community about eco-friendly practices and works with the St. Edward’s administration to implement environmental initiatives. Members help maintain the campus garden, learn about biking and public transportation, encourage fellow students to reduce their use of plastic water bottles, and have clothing swaps and upcycled craft nights.
The American Medical Student Association matches freshmen with upperclassman mentors in the same major. Together, members learn from guest speakers – like physicians and Peace Corps Volunteers – and complete volunteer projects.
GlobeMed explores topics related to global health, equity, sustainability and social justice. The organization partners with Asociación Tierra in Nicaragua, which focuses on sustainable nutrition, clean water, education and employment. The St. Edward’s GlobeMed chapter has chosen a project that runs an after-school activity and sustainable nutrition program for children in need. Summer interns travel to Nicaragua to work on projects led by the local partners.
The Hilltop Health Association builds community among pre-health students through service, promoting a healthy lifestyle, learning opportunities focused on global health, and service in clinical settings.
Pre-health students participate in the Making Equity Standard in Healthcare (MESH) mentorship day at Dell Medical School in Austin. In this program, current medical students advise undergraduates, particularly those from underrepresented backgrounds, about how to become stronger candidates for medical school. The Saturday program includes a tour of the school, information about the medical school’s distinctive curriculum and its work with the Austin community, and a Q&A with students.
Pre-health professions students can take advantage of 30 annual events sponsored by the health professions office. These include on-campus meetings with representatives from graduate programs as well as workshops to prepare you for specific aspects of the application process. Plus, St. Edward’s organizes small-group visits to medical, nursing and physical therapy schools.
Health sciences schools appreciate applicants who are curious and willing to get out of their comfort zones. St. Edward’s offers many opportunities to volunteer with a broad variety of people and learn about the social forces that influence health and access to medicine. These include:
- S.E.R.V.E Austin is a weekly, semester-long volunteer commitment at a specific site where you’ll develop relationships with immigrants and refugees, children at an after-school program, young adults working on their GED, the elderly or the formerly homeless.
- 服务。 1天 events are Saturday-morning programs that include breakfast, transportation to the site, lunch and a reflection. These one-day projects often involve physical labor, like cleaning up a park, removing invasive species or painting a school.
- 中断服务经验 give you the chance to travel to another community, volunteer and learn about local life. SBEs are built on ongoing relationships between St. Edward’s and the service location and require students to prepare – educationally and spiritually – for several months beforehand. The trips incorporate structured reflections so you’ll integrate what you’ve learned and use it to fuel your charity and justice work going forward. A hallmark of SBEs is their emphasis on living simply – you’ll leave your phone and other luxuries behind.
生物学 majors at St. Edward’s have the opportunity to work on research with their professors over the summer and during the school year. By working on projects with faculty, you’ll learn about the process of research and develop your lab skills. Students often emerge from these projects with publishable research of their own.
Students have worked with professors studying the roundworm C. elegans, which is often used as a model organism, to study the process of autophagy, an organism’s waste-removal system, and to study neurological development.
生物学 majors have worked alongside their professor on a research project that examines how moving a colony affects honeybees’ stress response and ability to fight off infection. They helped maintain two colonies of bees on campus and analyzed the immune systems of bees they collected from the hives. One student also studied how exposure to commonly used pesticides affect bees’ immune systems.
Students have presented their research and won awards at conferences including
- The Society for the Advancement of Chicanos and Native Americans in Science National Diversity in STEM Conference.
- McNair Scholars 研究 Conferences
- Annual Biomedical 研究 Conference for Minority Students
- TriBeta Biological Society Regional 研究 Conference
生物学 majors have also been selected for competitive Research Experiences for Undergraduates and for the LIVESTRONG Cancer Institutes’ Summer 大学本科 研究 Fellowship at The University of Texas at Austin and Dell Medical School.
Wild Basin Creative 研究 Center is 227-acre wilderness preserve located in West Austin and managed by St. Edward’s in coordination with local government entities. The preserve offers opportunities to study the natural world in a beautiful setting. Students have worked on environmental research projects at Wild Basin that include using motion-triggered wildlife cameras to document species diversity; measuring water quality in Bee Creek; documenting the bird species that live and the preserve and recording their songs to see how they change in the presence of human activity; and analyzing the microbial communities in soil around the preserve.
Pre-health professions students often shadow doctors or volunteer at local hospitals. In addition, 生物学 majors have completed internships focusing on environmental stewardship, clinical health, animal behavior, and medical and pharmaceutical research at the following organizations:
- CD Doyle Clinic, a free clinic run by Dell Medical School students in downtown Austin
- Regarding Cancer, which provides free support services to anyone affected by cancer
- Asuragen, which develops diagnostic tests for people with cancer and genetic diseases
- The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston
- Macromoltek, a computational drug discovery company dedicated to the advancement of antibody drug development
As a student in the 生物学 program you are afforded access to the funding programs, including paid internships, offered exclusively to STEM students at ST。威尼斯棋牌游戏 by the Institute for Interdisciplinary Science (i4). For more information on these programs please visit the Institute for Interdisciplinary Science (i4).
3 生物学 Tracks and Degree Requirements
主要要求： The BA in Biology requires 76 hours of 生物学 major courses, which include a combination of introductory coursework, biology electives, and supporting courses in subjects such as chemistry.
普通教育要求： The 生物学 degree requires 56 hours of general education courses that students complete over four years in addition to their major courses.
- Primarily designed for students pursuing a double major, biology education certification, or admission to professional schools
- Provides a solid foundation in biology with more latitude in the choice of general electives
- An example of a course you will take is 分子遗传学 which offers a study of the structure and function of DNA as the genetic material and focuses on details surrounding the “central dogma of molecular biology,” including DNA replication, transcription, RNA processing and translation, as well as mechanisms of control and regulation of expression of genetic information.
- 查看或下载完整 BA在生物学学位计划 英文版（pdf）
- Designed for students who intend to pursue further education and a career in the health professions such as medicine, veterinary medicine, physician assistant, dentistry, physical therapy, public health or nursing
- Degree requirements include the prerequisites for most professional schools
- An example of a course you will take is 演化, an in-depth analysis of evolution via natural selection using examples from all major classes of organisms. Emphasis is placed on the mechanism and resulting products of evolutionary change. 演化ary change is examined at the molecular, organismal and population levels of organization.
- 查看或下载完整 BS in 生物学 - Health Professions degree plan 英文版（pdf）
- Designed to provide a strong background in biology and research and prepare students for graduate school
- Prepares students for education at the graduate level leading to careers outside the health professions. Students might study molecular biology, cellular biology, developmental biology, microbiology, neurobiology, zoology, botany, ecology or other fields
- An example of a course you will take is 人口生物学和生态学 wherein students study the abundance and distribution of populations and collect and analyze data in experiments designed to test the theories presented in lecture. These include studies of distribution patterns, foraging behavior, and population and community structure.
- 查看或下载完整 BS in 生物学 - 毕业 School major degree plan 英文版（pdf）
3. Bachelor of Science in 医学检验学
- Prepares students to be health care detectives, investigating the cause of infectious disease, cancer and other ailments
- Involves coursework at St. Edward's University and clinical training at an affiliated MLS program (目前 奥斯汀州立医院). These courses span disciplines such as microbiology, hematology, immunology, clinical chemistry and molecular biology.
- An example of a course you will take is 免疫学 where students will discover the molecular nature of the human immune system including the cellular and noncellular components involved and how these factors interact to combat disease.
- 查看或下载完整 BS in 医学检验学 degree plan 英文版（pdf）
Interested in earning a Master of Science in Clinical Laboratory Science? 学到更多 我们的双学位项目。
Our Faculty and 学生支持服务
教职员工 are teacher-scholars with years of academic experience and creative passions of their own. They stay active in their fields and bring their expertise to the classroom.
“Being a professor allows me to integrate two things that I love - teaching and research. In this setting, I have the opportunity to work closely with students and mentor them as they put what they’ve learned in class to use. Seeing students get inspired by the science, and in turn inspiring me to be a better teacher and scientist is a very rewarding process!
“Over the years, I’ve learned that giving students direct, quick feedback and close one-on-one support works best for heading off frustration and keeping students engaged. I don’t tell them what to do or how. I remind them that this is real science, so often times, I don’t know what’s going to happen either.”
Along with personal attention and mentorship from their professors, our students have access to offices and programs outside of the classroom that support their success. We encourage students to take advantage of these resources that help them thrive and excel:
- Supplemental instruction and tutoring
Students who wish to earn a 生物学 minor must take the following coursework, totaling 21 hours, with at least 9 hours of upper-division coursework. This includes two required courses:
- General 生物学: Cells, Genetics and Organ Systems
- General 生物学: Organisms and Populations
- Upper Division Electives (10 hours)
你当前的学生吗？ 请联系您的顾问 for next steps on declaring your major or minor.
演化ary Foundation for Curricula
At ST。威尼斯棋牌游戏, all curricula in the Biological Sciences are founded upon evolutionary theory. As a subject of scientific inquiry, the theory of evolution provides opportunities for testing of hypotheses that strengthen our understanding of the processes that account for the diversity of life on earth, and existing data overwhelmingly support the theory as scientifically sound. We regard any non-scientific or teleological attempts that distract from the scientific processes that underlie science as, at best, a diversion to our mission to provide exceptional education to our students in the 生物科学. We stand with the numerous scientific societies that have issued statements on the subject of evolution and intelligent design, confirming the demonstrated success of the former and rejecting the scientific viability of latter.